I’m very excited to announce that I will be teaching an online course beginning January 1, 2016, and that you can sign up for it now at the World Institute for Social Change.
The course is called “A World Beyond War” and will examine the possibility, desirability, and feasibility of abolishing the institution of war, examining arguments for the desirability and necessity of war, considering possible costs and benefits of war, and weighing alternative strategies for advancing the cause of reduction and abolition.
Under review will be historic, recent, and current examples of war and war propaganda from various parts of the world. I will provide text and video each week, engage in discussion with students, answer any questions, and provide feedback on writing by students each week. Students are encouraged to bring any and all examples and arguments to the discussion.
I plan to devote a great deal of time and effort to working with each of you who participates in this course, and I think the WISC website will work well for this. I’m looking forward to your input.
The trickiest part of taking this online course may be signing up for it. Here’s how.
1. Go to: https://zcomm.org/zschool/moodle/login
2. Make up and type in (and remember) a username (it can be your email address) and a password.
3. On the next screen, type in your name and email address.
4. The website may send you a confirmation email. It may say that you’ve “changed” your email address. Just click the link in the email it sends you.
5. You will then be logged in and able to sign up for the course here:
There are lots of other great courses that may interest you as well.
Each course costs $50 or $25 for those with low income. Part of the funding from my course goes to World Beyond War.
If you have any technical difficulties, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the course, please see the outline on the website and contact me by replying to this email.