If you can get presidential candidates in the Democratic or Republican parties to answer any of these, please let me know.
1. President Obama's 2017 budget proposal, according to the National Priorities Project, devotes 54% of discretionary spending (or $622.6 billion) to militarism. This figure does not include care for veterans or debt payments on past military spending. Is the percentage of discretionary spending now devoted to militarism, as compared to what you would propose for 2018,_______too high,_______too low,_______just right.Approximately what level would you propose? ______________________.
2. The United States budgets approximately $25 billion per year for non-military foreign aid, which is less per capita or in relation to the nation's economy than many other countries. Is the percentage of discretionary spending now devoted to non-military foreign aid, as compared to what you would propose for 2018,_______too high,_______too low,_______just right.Approximately what level would you propose? ______________________.
3. Does the Kellogg-Briand Pact forbid war? _____________________.
4. Does the United Nations Charter forbid war that is neither actually defensive nor authorized by the United Nations Security Council? _________________.
5. Does the U.S. Constitution require a Congressional declaration of war? __________________.
6. Do the anti-torture and war crimes statutes in the U.S. code ban torture? _________________.
7. Does the U.S. Constitution forbid imprisoning people without charge or trial? ________________.
8. The United States is the leading weapons supplier, through sales and gifts, to the Middle East, as to the world. In what ways would you reduce this arms trade?_______________________ _________________ ______________________ _________________________ _________________________ ___________________ _________________ _________________ ____________________.
9. Does the U.S. president have the legal authority to kill people with missiles from drones or manned airplanes or by any other means? Where does that legal authority originate? _____________ ____________ __________ ___________________ _________________ ______________ ___________________ __________________.
10. The United States military has troops in at least 175 countries. Some 800 bases house hundreds of thousands of U.S. troops in some 70 foreign nations, not including numerous "trainers" and participants in "non-permanent" exercises that last indefinitely, at a cost over $100 billion a year. Is this,_____ too many,_____ too few,_____ just right.What level would be appropriate? ___________ ________________ ________________ _______________ ____________.
11. Would you end U.S. war making in_____ Afghanistan_____ Iraq_____ Syria_____ Libya_____ Somalia_____ Pakistan_____ Yemen
12. Does the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty require the United States to pursue negotiations in good faith on effective measures relating to cessation of the nuclear arms race at an early date and to nuclear disarmament, and on a treaty on general and complete disarmament under strict and effective international control? ________.
13. Would you sign and encourage ratification of,________ the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court________ the Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction________ the Convention on Cluster Munitions________ the Convention on the Non-Applicability of Statutory Limitations to War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity________ the Optional Protocol to the Convention Against Torture________ the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance________ the proposed treaty on Prevention of an Arms Race in Outer Space
14. Should the U.S. government continue to subsidize______ fossil fuels______ nuclear energy
15. How, and how much, would you propose to invest in bringing renewable, green, non-nuclear energy to the United States and the world? ______________ _______________ _____________ ________________ _____________ ________________ ____________ ______________ ___________________ _________________.