Free Trade Pact or Corporate Coup?
Presentation & Discussion with Author & Activist David Swanson
The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is the most highly secret trade agreement in the history of the United States. It is massive in scope, and is being pushed by the U.S. government at the behest of transnational corporations. It is bad for jobs, bad for democracy, and bad for our national sovereignty. President Obama is expected to try to “fast-track” the TPP as soon as this month. Fast-tracking means that the TPP would be pushed through without adequate congressional and public examination and input. The TPP is being packaged as a “trade pact” when in reality it is all about establishing a system of global corporate governance.
The TPP will:
- Prevent effective regulation of Wall Street
- Trade good-paying careers for sweatshop labor
- Destroy family farms
- Accelerate global warming in the name of profits
- Keep the public in the dark
- Place corporate rights above our national sovereignty
- Crush our ability to support local economies
- Weaken and undermine democracy at home and abroad
Do any of these things matter to you? Please Join Us!
WHERE: Community Mennonite Church, 70 South High Street, Harrisonburg
WHEN: Sunday, July 21, 7:00 – 9:00 PM
Sponsored by Occupy Harrisonburg
For more info: citizenstrade.org